M.K. Yangel - chief designer of space-rocket systems
|1Andreev, VL, 2Konyukhov, SN |
1Yangel Yuzhnoye State Design Office, Dnipropetrovsk
2Yangel Yuzhnoye State Design Office, Dnipropetrovsk, Ukraine
|Kosm. nauka tehnol. 1996, 2 ;(Suppl. 2):03-64|
|Publication Language: Russian|
We describe the main milestones of life and activity of Mikhail Kuzmich Yangel - a leading missile designer in the former Soviet Union. His career started as an aviation engineer, after graduating from Moscow Aviation Institute in 1937. He worked with famous aircraft designers Nikolai Polikarpov and later with Artem Mikoyan. Then he moved to the field of ballistic missiles, where he first was in charge of guidance systems. As Sergei Korolev’s associate, he set up a rocket propulsion center in Dnipropetrovsk in Ukraine which later formed the basis of his own OKB-586 design bureau in 1954 (now State Design Bureau Yuzhnoye). At first, Yangel’s facility served to mass-produce and further develop intercontinental ballistic missiles (ICBMs) in which area Yangel was a pioneer of storable hypergolic fuels. OKB-586 designed the R-12, R-16 and R-36, whose launch vehicle adaptations are known as Cosmos, Tsyklon, Dnepr respectively are still in use today.
|Keywords: cosmonautics: outstanding personalities: M.K. Yangel, space-rocket vehicles|
1. Kuzneckij M. I., Strazheva I. V. Baikonur — a wonderwork of the XX century (Sov. pisatel', Moscow, 1995) [in Russian].
2. Dnepropetrovsk space-rocket center (JSE Yuzhmash-SDB Yuzhnoye, Dnepropetrovsk, 1994) [in Russian].
3. Platonov V. P., Gorbulin V. P. Mikhail Kuzmich Yangel. (Nauk. dumka, Kiev, 1979) [in Russian].
4. Smetanin Yu. A. (Ed.) The collection of memories about Mikhail Kuzmich Yangel (Dnepropetrovsk, 1991) [in Russian].
5. Strazheva I. Tulips from cosmodrome. (Molodaya gvardiya, Moscow, 1981) [in Russian].
6. The chronicle of the main events of history of the Strategic Missile Forces. (1994) [in Russian].