Regression modelling for αp and Kp indices: first results
|1Parnowski, AS, 2Polonskaya, AYu., 1Shevchenko, VM, 1Zhuk, IT, 1Maslova, NV |
1Space Research Institute of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine and the State Space Agency of Ukraine, Kyiv, Ukraine
2National Aviation University, Kyiv, Ukraine
|Kosm. nauka tehnol. 2011, 17 ;(1):36-38|
|Publication Language: Russian|
On the basis of the regression modelling method, the model is developed which allows us to forecast apand Kpindices three hours ahead. For apindex, the linear correlation coefficient is 0.86 (0.75 for the trivial model), the prediction efficiency is 0.87, and the standard deviation is 9.15 nT. For Kpindex, 96 % of all the points have the absolute error not more than 1 unit of Kp, and 83 % of all the points have the absolute error not more than 1/3 units of Kp. Similar to the Daindex, the ap index has a memory of its previous values for approximately 1000 hours. It also has evident temporal variations with typical periods of 12 hours (diurnal), 27 days (Carrington) and 6 months (seasonal).
|Keywords: correlation coefficient, prediction efficiency, regression modelling|
1. Parnowski A. S. Dst prediction using the linear regression analysis. Kosm. nauka tehnol., 14 (3), 48—54 (2008) [in Russian].
2. Parnowskiy A. S. Regression modeling and its application to the problem of prediction of space weather. Probl. Upravl. Inform., No. 3, 128—135 (2009) [in Russian].
3. Fisher R. A. Statistical methods for research workers, 12th ed., 356 p. (Oliver and Boyd, London, 1954).
4. Hudson D. J. Statistics. Lectures on Elementary Statistics and Probability, 320 p. (CERN, Geneva, 1964).
5. Johnson J. R., Wing S. A cumulant-based analysis of nonlinear magnetospheric dynamics. Report PPPL-3919-rev. (2004) Available: http://www.pppl.gov/pub_report/2004/PPPL-3919rev.pdf
6. Parnowski A. S. Statistical approach to Dst prediction. J. Phys. Studies, 12 (4), P. 4003 (2008).
7. Parnowski A. S. Statistically predicting Dst without satellite data. Earth, Planets and Space, 61 (5), 621—624 (2009).
8. Parnowski A. S. Regression modeling method of space weather prediction. Astrophys. and Space Sci., 323 (2), 169—180 (2009).
9. Press W. H., Teukolsky S.A., Vatterling W.T., Flannery B.P. Numerical Recipes in FORTRAN 77 and 90. The Art of Scientific Computing, 2nd ed. (Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge; New York; Melbourne; 1992).
10. Seber G. A. F. Linear Regression Analysis. (Wiley, New York, 1977).