The fiftieth anniversary of the first space welding experiment
|1Strelko, ОH, 1Pylypchuk, OYa., 1Berdnychenko, Yu.А |
1State University of Infrastructure and Technologies, Kyiv, Ukraine
|Space Sci. & Technol. 2019, 25 ;(5):76-84|
|Publication Language: Ukrainian|
The article describes the historical stages of the idea emergence, preparation, and conducting of first space welding experiments on October 16, 1969, by Soviet cosmonauts Georgy Stepano-vich Shonin and Valery Nikolaevich Kubasov on-board the spacecraft «Soyuz-6». The assessment of the contribution of individual specialists and entire organizations in the preparation of the experiment, the development, and manufacture of the necessary equip-ment was made. A leading role of a group of Ukrainian scientists of the E. O. Paton Institute of electric welding, headed by academician Boris E. Paton, in solving these problems is shown.
The four-stage periodization in the development, manufacture, and testing of equipment and preparation of the space welding ex-periment is considered. The importance of the results of exper-iments in conditions simulating the space ones for the prepara-tion of the experiment directly in space is demonstrated. The preliminary studies gave the possibility to identify the most characteristic features of zero gravity and vacuum welding.It is shown that the most promising welding techniques in the space environment were selected by a detailed analysis of the results of the ground experiments and experiments on the flying laboratory TU-104. Among them, there were electron beam welding, consumable electrode welding, and plasma arc welding. The features of the technical solutions implemented in the design and manufacture of a complex, fully automated device for welding «Volcano» are considered. The «Volcano» device pro-vides the use of the automatic mode of all three welding meth-ods on the orbit. It is shown that a decisive contribution to the development of the «Volcano» welding machine and the first space welding ex-periment was made by Ukrainian scientists of the E. O. Paton Institute of electric welding and the Institute of electrodynam-ics of NAS of Ukraine.
|Keywords: history of space exploration, space welding, the contribution of the Ukrainian scientists, welding machine «Volcano»|
1. Horbulin, V. P., Yatskiv, Ya. S. (2018). B. E. Paton and the development of space science and technology. Space Sci.&Technol., 24(5), 43—52 [in Ukrainian]. URL: https://doi.org/10.15407/knit2018.05.043 (Last accessed 01.10.2019).
2. The history of the development of welding in space. URL: https://blog.svarcom.net/statii/svarka-v-kosmose.html (Last accessed 01.10.2019).
3. Lebedev, V. K., Shelyagin, V. D., Mokhnach, V. K., Naza-renko, O. K., Chalov, V. I., Masalov, Yu. A. (1971). New system of current stabilization and accelerating voltage of electron guns. Automatic welding, 9, 46—48 [in Russian].
4. Paton, B. E. (1964). Welding in space. Technique for youth, 11, 13 [in Russian].
5. Paton, B. E. (1969). Welding in orbit. Pravda, October 17[in Russian].
6. Paton, B. E. (1969). Vulcan in orbit. The Soviet Union, 11, 4 [in Russian].
7. Paton, B. E. (1975). Plants in space. New time, 15, 23—25 [in Russian].
8. Paton, B. E. (Ed.) (2000). Сosmos: Technologies, Materials Science, Structures. Collection of scientific papers. Kiev: E. O. Paton Electric Welding Institute NAS of Ukraine [in Russian].
9. Paton, B. E. (2018). 25 years of welding in open space. Space Sci.&Technol., 24(5), 14—18 [in Russian].
10. Paton, B. E. (2018). Preface to the collection of scien-tific papers “Space: Technologies, Materials Science, De-signs”. Space Sci.&Technol., 24(5), 10—13 [in Russian].
11. Paton, B. E., Gavrish, S. S., Shulym, V. F., Bulatsev, A. R., Demyanenko, V. V., Kryukov, V. A. et al. (1999). Manual electron beam technological work in space. Automatic welding, 10, 7—22 [in Russian].
12. Paton, B., Dzhanibekov, V. Savitskaya, S. (1986). Tested in orbit. Science and life, 2, 2—7 [in Russian].
13. Paton, B. E., Dudko, D. A., Bernadskij, V. N. Lapchin-skij, V. F. Zagrebel’nyj, A. A. Stesin, V. V. i dr. (1977). Performance of manual electron beam welding in space. Space materials science and technology. A. S. Ohotin (Ed.). Moskva: Nauka. Р. 17—22 [In Russian].
14. Paton, B. E., Kubasov, V. N. (1970). Experiment on metal welding in space. Automatic welding, 5, 7—12 [in Russian].
15. Paton, B. E., Kubasov, V. N. (1979). Ten years of space technology. Automatic welding, 12, 1—3 [in Russian].
16. Paton, B. E., Lapchinskij, V. F. (1998). Welding and relat-ed technologies in space tehnology. Kiev: Naukova dumka [in Russian].
17. Paton, B. E., Nazarenko, O. K., Chalov, V. I., Neporo-zhnij, Yu. V., Lebedev, V. K. Zaruba, I. I. et al. (1971). Features of equipment and processes of electron beam welding and cutting in space. Automatic welding, 3, 3—8 [in Russian].
18. Paton, B. E., Paton, V. E., Dudko, D. A., Bernadsky, V. N., Dubenko, G. P., Lapchinsky, V. F., et al. (1973). A stand for the study of technological processes in conditions sim-ulating space. Space research in Ukraine, 1, 5—8.
19. The first welding in space. URL: http://www.alfa-indus-try.ru/news/104/2835/ (Last accessed 01.10.2019).
20. Pylypchuk, O., Strelko, O. (2016). The railway Minis-ter, Prince M. I. Khilkov (1834–1909): the life and work activities. History of science and technology, 6(9), 48—55. URL: http://hst-journal.com/index.php/hst/article/view /154 (Last accessed 01.10.2019).
21. Pylypchuk, O., Strelko, O. (2017). Kostiantyn Myko-laiovych Pos’iet (1819–1899): life and activity (to the 200th birthday anniversary). History of science and techno-logy, 7(10), 56—63. URL: https://doi.org/10.32703/2415-7422-2017-7-10-56-63 (Last accessed 01.10.2019).
22. Pylypchuk, O., Strelko, O. (2018). The thirteenth Min-ister of Railways of the Russian Empire Hiubbenet Adolf Yakovych (1831—1901). History of science and technology, 8(12), 39—52. URL: https://doi.org/10.32703/2415-7422-2018-8-1(12)-39-52 (Last accessed 01.10.2 019).
23. Stesin, V. V. (2018). V. E. Paton in works on space tech-nologies. Space Sci.&Technol., 24(5), 24—27.
24. Taglina, O. (2010). Evgenij i Boris Paton. Kiev: Folio [in Russian].
25. Yas, O. V. (2005). Historiography, as a term. Encyclopedia of History of Ukraine. Smolii, V. A. (Ed.). Kyiv: Nauk. dumka. 3. P. 584—591 [in Ukrainian].
26. Garraghan, G. J., Delanglez, J., Appel, L. (1946). A guide to historical method. New York: Fordham University Press.
27. Paton, B. E. (1972). Welding in space. Welding Engineering, 57(1), 25—29.
28. Paton, B. E., Lapchinskii, V. F. Welding in space and related technologies. Cambridge: International Science Publishi, 1997.