Charge distribution features of fine-dispersed dust grains in low-temperature space plasma
|1Klymenko, Yu.O, 1Cheremnykh, ОК |
1Space Research Institute of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine and the State Space Agency of Ukraine, Kyiv, Ukraine
|Kosm. nauka tehnol. 2003, 9 ;(5-6):130-135|
|Publication Language: Russian|
To describe charge properties of space dusty plasma, we applied the detailed balance method which takes adequately into account the discreteness of charge inflow on a dust grain. A system of equations is obtained which enables us to find analytically the shape of the charge probabilities with great and small charges on a dusty grain. We found the conditions under which the steady-state charge distribution is Gaussian shaped one. The grain surface potential is demonstrated to depends on the grain radius but to be not constant as generally believed.
|Keywords: detailed balance method, dust grains, space plasma|
1. Klymenko Yu. O., Cheremnykh O. K. Charge distribution on dust particles of space plasma. Kosm. nauka tehnol., 9 (4), 67—72 (2003) [in Russian].
2. Kotsarenko N. Ya., Koshevaya S. V., Kotsarenko A. N. Dusty plasma in space. Geofisica Internetional, 37 (2), 71—86 (1998).
3. Matsoukas T., Russel M. Fokker—Planck description of particle charging in ionized gases. Phys. Rev. E, 55 (1), 991—994 (1997).
4. Schram P. P. J. M., Trigger S. A., Zagorodny A. G. New microscopic and macroscopic variables in gusty plasmas. New J. Phys., No. 5, 27.1—27.7 (2003).
5. Shukla P. K. New collective processes in dusty plasmas: applications to space and laboratories. Plasma Phys. Control. Fusion, No. 42, 213—221 (2000).
6. Shukla P. K., Mamun A. A. Introduction to dusty plasma physics, 265 p. (IOP Publ. LtD, London, 2002).
7. Tsytovich V. N. Dust plasma crystals, drops, and clouds. Phys.-Uspekhi, 40 (1), 53—94 (1997).