Generation of Langmuir waves in a magnetized plasma with low-frequency turbulence
|1Burinskaya, TM, 2Rauch, JL, 1Mogilevsky, MM |
1Space Research Institute of the Russian AS, Moscow, Russia
2LPCE/CNRS, ЗА Avenue de la Recherche Scientifique, Orleans, France
|Kosm. nauka tehnol. 2002, 8 ;(Supplement2):082-088|
|Publication Language: Russian|
In the framework of the quasilinear statistical approximation, equations are derived that describe the dynamics of the formation of the spectra of Langmuir oscillations in a magnetized collisionless plasma with low-frequency turbulence. The equations obtained take into account the scattering of waves excited by an electron beam against a given background of plasma density fluctuations both at small and large angles. Owing to the scattering of Langmuir waves, the vibrational energy is redistributed in phase space and spectra of a characteristic form are formed. Numerical calculations carried out with plasma parameters characteristic of the polar cap of the Earth’s magnetosphere make it possible to explain the generation of small-scale bursts of Langmuir oscillations recorded onboard the INTERBALL-2 satellite during overflights in this region.
1. Lin R. P., Levedahl W. K., Lotko W., et al. Evidence for parametric decay of Langmuir waves in solar type III radio burst. Astrophys. J., 308, 954 (1986).
2. Gurnett D. A., Hospodarsky G. B., et al. Fine structure of Langmuir waves produced by a solar electron event. J. Geophys. Res., 98, 5631 (1993).
3. McFadden J. P., Carlson C. W., Boehm M. H. High frequency waves generated by auroral electrons. J. Geophys. Res., 91, 12079 (1986).
4. Stasievicz K., Holback B., Krasnoselskikh V., et al. Parametric instabilities of Langmuir waves observed by Freja. J. Geophys. Res., 101, 21.515 (1996).
5. Bonnel J., Kintner P., Wahlund J.-E., et al. Modulated Langmuir waves: Observations from Freja and SCIFER. J. Geophys. Res., 102, 17.233 (1997).
6. Burinskaya T. M., Rusanov A. A., Mogilevsky M. M. Small-Scale Bursts of the Langmuir Oscillations in the Polar Cap. Kosmicheskie Issledovaniia, 38 (5), 507 (2000) [in Russian].
7. Mogilevsky M. M., Golyavin A. M., Aleksandrova T. V., et al. Measurements of Low-Frequency Electromagnetic Fields onboard the Auroral Probe Satellite in the INTERBALL Project: The NVK-ONCH Experiment. Kosmicheskie Issledovaniia, 36 (6), 630 (1998) [in Russian].
8. Sauvaud J.-A., Barthe H., Aoustin C., et al. Measurement of the Suprathermal Plasma by the ION Spectrometric Complex on the INTERBALL-2 Satellite (Auroral Probe) . Kosmicheskie Issledovaniia, 36 (1), 63 (1998) [in Russian].
9. Goldman M. V., and DuBois D. F. Beam-plasma instability in the presence of low-frequency turbulence. Phys. Fluids, 25, 1062 (1982).
10. Holmgren G., and Kintner P. M. Experimental evidence of widespread regions of small-scale plasma irregularities in the magnetosphere. J. Geophys. Res., 95, 6015 (1990).